Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Defending the Faith

I was sitting on a bus the other day silently studying my scriptures. It was very difficult to focus between the sound of the motor, heater, people laughing, arguing, or talking. Since I was trying to focus on reading I didn’t really hear anything. i sort of set up a wall between myself and the world However four words breached through my defences. My friend whom is a proclaimed atheist yelled at my friend who is in my teachers quorum “Jeez I hate Mormons!” Shocked I looked up. My LDS friend had been bothering her so I let it go. However its not just my atheist friend. Consistently throughout my day I hear the word Mormon used derogatorily towards other LDS and myself. In instances such as “ooh you’re Mormon” or “Why are you Mormon?” I would like to show to all thoses people who call LDS people “Mormon” this excerpt from Ask the Missionaries!.They can help you! by Elder Russell M. Nelson.
"Some of you may wonder about the name Mormon. It is a nickname for us. It is not our real name, though we are widely known as Mormons. The term is derived from a book of sacred scripture known as the Book of Mormon.
The true name of the Church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is the reestablished original Church of Jesus Christ. When He walked upon the earth, He organized His Church. He called Apostles, Seventies, and other leaders to whom He gave priesthood authority to act in His name. After Christ and His Apostles passed away, men changed the ordinances and doctrine. The original Church and the priesthood were lost. After the Dark Ages, and under the direction of Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ brought back His Church. Now it lives again, restored and functioning under His divine direction."
Often as LDS we have to defend our faith. In The Cost- and blessings-of discipleship by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland it says…
"With admiration and encouragement for everyone who will need to remain steadfast in these latter days, I say to all and especially the youth of the Church that if you haven’t already, you will one day find yourself called upon to defend your faith or perhaps even endure some personal abuse simply because you are a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Such moments will require both courage and courtesy on your part.
For example, a sister missionary recently wrote to me: “My companion and I saw a man sitting on a bench in the town square eating his lunch. As we drew near, he looked up and saw our missionary name tags. With a terrible look in his eye, he jumped up and raised his hand to hit me. I ducked just in time, only to have him spit his food all over me and start swearing the most horrible things at us. We walked away saying nothing. I tried to wipe the food off of my face, only to feel a clump of mashed potato hit me in the back of the head. Sometimes it is hard being a missionary because right then I wanted to go back, grab that little man, and say, ‘EXCUSE ME!’ But I didn’t.”...
And therein lies a message for every young man and young woman in this Church. You may wonder if it is worth it to take a courageous moral stand in high school or to go on a mission only to have your most cherished beliefs reviled or to strive against much in society that sometimes ridicules a life of religious devotion. Yes, it is worth it, because the alternative is to have our “houses” left unto us “desolate”—desolate individuals, desolate families, desolate neighborhoods, and desolate nations."
I know that defending our faith can be difficult however we cannot simply sit by watching our faith be slandered. However these situations often lead to missionary opportunities and conversion. I would like to bear my testimony that this church is true and that it should be defended
In the name of Jesus Christ Amen.
Sources:
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/04/the-cost-and-blessings-of-discipleship?lang=eng#watch=video
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/10/ask-the-missionaries-they-can-help-you?lang=eng&query=name+mormon

No comments:

Post a Comment