Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

We Have Friends Everywhere

Sorry, my post last Sunday didn't publish like I thought it did, so to make up for that here's two.

This Saturday I was at a speech and debate tournament in a little town near my hometown.  Since all I do is extemporaneous, and I didn't break into the semis, I had nothing to do.

There was a basketball game in the gym next to their cafeteria where all our events were sprawled. So, I decided to go over and listen to their pep band. I came in on a song that I couldn't quite recognize, and stood over the railing right above their trombone section.

They finished their song and I complemented the bone player right below me on how well they had played. He said thanks and asked if I played. I told him that I played the base clarinet. He and several others in his section invited me to hang out with him, and we talked for a good portion of the first half of the pep band. They even offered to try and get me a bass clarinet or a Bb clarinet so I could play with them. Their band director and I decided it was a bad Idea since I am on the tail end of a fight with bronchitis, and I didn't have my own reed.

I found out that a good friend of mine, Marissa, who plays in our band, was playing her saxophone for them. Her boyfriend lives in the small town, and had invited her to play with them. I was able to talk to her, and meet a number of her friends in the band, and her boyfriend who I had up until then only heard about. They were all very neat people and I'm glad I was able to meet them

I had a lot of fun that I didn't know I was going to have and met so many new friends. I learned two things from the experience.

1. I have friends everywhere, I just don't know them yet.

2. Always keep a reed in your suit coat pocket.

I had a blast watching a basketball game with people I had only known for a few minutes, and just listening to them play music. They are a tight knit band that was willing to let an outsider in. Of course it probably helps that all of them were very nice.

In my church we have thirteen articles of faith. The end of the thirteenth states "If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report, or praise worthy, we seek after these things." These members of a small band in the state of Wyoming fit into all these categories.

I am glad that I was able to meet these band members. They are all very fun people, all very bright, and all very willing to accept others into their close group. There are always, wherever you are, friends to meet and stand beside.

3 comments:

  1. "I have friends everywhere, I just don't know them yet." great post Gabe! This is something I need to remember and apply in my life more. I need to not be so shy about getting to know people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story and great message! Choosing friends is one of the most important choices we make! And there are great people everywhere who would make great friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! Something I need to work harder to remember

    ReplyDelete