Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Service, a Small Thing

Days pass rapidly,with time flowing by in the blink of an eye. Seconds turn into minutes, which become hours, then days and weeks.  Each day seems so packed that little things slip by unnoticed as I go about my duties at school, at work, and home. The small things that slip past, many of them seem trivial like noticing a friends haircut, or getting lost in a daydream, but some are not. 

One of the things that brings me the most joy and happiness is being able to help someone else. It can be just holding the door for someone, or painting 23 fire hydrants for my hometown.  I know that if I can make someone else's life easier I have done well.  In the Book of Mormon, King Mosiah told his people, "And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." (Mosiah 2:17)

Earlier this week, I practiced my solo with my band teacher.  When we were done Mrs. K began to straighten up the band room. She does this every day after every band class, and at the end of the day. During the day she usually doesn't get help with this chore, because most of her students need to rush across the building to avoid being late to their next class. One hundred and twenty students make a pretty bid mess moving around the room seven periods a day.   She is constantly picking up after us, who she considers to be like her own children.

That day, I began to help her. We arranged stands and chairs in an orderly fashion, facing each other, all at the same height and angle. We talked as we worked, and I was able to  get to know her better. We talked about our families, about my friends in the freshmen class, and we talked about our hobbies. It was fun.
Through that experience I was able to help one of the most giving people in my life with one of her daily chores. I was able to get to know her better and have fun at the same time.  In fact, its safe to say that it probably benefited me more than few minutes it shaved off her chore.

That's the magic of service, we tend to get more out of it than we realize.  It is enriching and rewarding for us as well.  Giving service doesn't have to be a huge chore, nor does it have to be grand.  I was able to give some service to Mrs. K while having fun and getting to know her. Small acts of service help us forge friendships, and help us feel better about the world around us.

Small things like fit easily into our busy schedules, and in our hectic dash, we need small pick-me-ups like this to help us get through the week. Service is one of the most rewarding things you can do, and while daydreaming about the meaning of life is fun, it just doesn't compare.  Besides, what's better than putting a smile on someone else's face.

1 comment:

  1. I know that as we serve we will be blessed. The lord looks after those who take care of people and puts others needs above their own. If we remember to serve others and keep the commandments the lord will not let us fail!

    ReplyDelete